Spousal Sponsorship: How Canada checks if a relationship is real

Spousal Sponsorship: How Canada checks if a relationship is real

Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) considers family reunification a key aspect of Canadian immigration. When sponsoring a spouse or partner (Spousal Sponsorship), IRCC assesses the genuineness of the relationship to prevent misuse, as some may fake relationships for immigration status or financial gain. Sponsors commit to financially supporting their partner for three years post-permanent residency, even if the relationship ends. Canadians or permanent residents may also attempt sham relationships for financial gain.

To prove the relationship’s authenticity, applicants must submit specific documents. If needed, IRCC may conduct interviews with both the sponsor and applicant. If an officer doubts the relationship’s genuineness, sponsorship eligibility is at risk for the foreign national.

Listen to this article.

The genuineness of a relationship for immigration purposes

To prove the genuineness of a relationship for immigration purposes in Canada, here are the key highlights:

Married Couples

  • Required documentation includes a completed Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation questionnaire (IMM 5532), a marriage certificate, and proof of marriage registration with a government authority.
  • Proof of divorce is needed if either the applicant or spouse was previously married.
  • Long-form birth certificates or adoption records are necessary if there are common children.
  • Supporting evidence such as wedding invitations and photos is also important.
Spousal Sponsorship Canada

Same-Sex Couples with Unrecognized Marriages

Same-sex couples with marriages not legally recognized by the foreign national’s country should apply as a common-law relationship or as conjugal partners if they’ve been unable to live together due to visa issues.

Common-Law Partners

  • A common-law relationship in Canada is defined as an unmarried couple living together in a conjugal partnership for at least one year.
  • Documentation required is similar to married couples, excluding wedding photos and invitations.
  • Evidence of financial support, shared expenses, and recognition by friends and family is necessary.

Common Documentation for Both Married Couples and Common-Law Partners

  • At least two of the following sets of documents must be provided:
    -Proof of joint ownership of residential property.
    -Rental agreement showing both as occupants.
    -Joint utility accounts, credit card accounts, or bank accounts.
    -Vehicle insurance with both parties listed at the same address.
    -Government-issued documents with matching addresses.
    -Other documents with the same address, even if not held jointly.
  • A detailed written explanation is needed if two of these documents cannot be provided.

Proving Cohabitation in Canada

Couples can prove cohabitation by providing various documents such as joint bank accounts, residential property ownership, rental leases, utility bills, shared expenses, joint purchases, correspondence addressed to both, identification documents, shared responsibilities, and phone records.

Proving Previous Cohabitation Outside Canada

If not currently living together in Canada, evidence of previous one-year cohabitation includes communication records and proof of visits by the Canadian partner (e.g., flight tickets, passport photocopies with stamps). Explanations are needed if visits did not occur.

How mana immigration Can Help

Mana immigration is your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of spousal sponsorship for those looking to bring their spouses or partners to Canada as permanent residents. We understand the importance of reuniting families and work diligently to assist you in demonstrating the authenticity of your relationship to IRCC. With our professional team of immigration professionals, we guide you through the entire application process, from gathering the necessary documentation to submitting a strong application package. So, don’t hesitate to contact us to schedule a free consultation. You can also keep yourself updated on immigration news and the most recent developments by connecting with us on social media.

5/5 - (4 votes)
Related Posts
Follow Manaimmigration Would you like to receive notifications on latest updates? No Yes