Owner Operator LMIA
Owner Operator LMIA Canadian Work Permit Owner-Operator Owner-Operator Work Permits Owner Operator LMIA Owner Operator Program OOWP
The government of Canada has created a particular category of work permit called Owner Operator LMIA that enables the majority of owners of a company to obtain the right to a Canadian work permit.In general, many businesspersons worldwide consider Canada as a reasonable choice with its favorable economic climate, the work ethic of the people, and the diversity of the population. The purpose of the Owner Operator program is to provide a safe route through which international businesspeople can enter Canada to run their business.
Owner Operator LMIA
Owner Operator LMIA
Are you a business owner in your home country or have a senior manager of a business?
Immigrating by registering a company in Canada and starting a business is one way to enter this country.
Many immigrant applicants with good management backgrounds who have established or owned more than 50 percent of a business in Canada can eventually get permanent residency by obtaining a Canadian work and entrepreneurship visa.
The Owner Operator LMIA Program is for business owners who have a business in their home country, manage it, or have been a company’s senior manager. These individuals can apply for a Canadian work visa.
In this program, you can get a work permit in Canada by buying or establishing a business.
Requirements Owner Operator LMIA
To qualify for the Owner Operator LMIA program, a foreign investor must meet the following requirements:
• Have a viable or solid business plan.
• Verifiable management record.
• Enough assets to buy the desired business in Canada.
• Skilled in English or French to work as a business manager in Canada.
• Demonstrate a level of controlling interest in the company, being a sole proprietor or a majority shareholder.
• Prove your temporary entry will create employment for Canadians and permanent residents.
• More than 50% of the shares cannot be transferred.
• Having shares alone does not qualify a foreign investor to enter the Owner Operator program. Still, a job offer for the foreign investor who is taking over the management of the business must be attached.
Process for the Owner Operator LMIA Program
• Buy or build a business: The overseas investor determines the Canadian business to be established.
• Obtain the LMIA approval Labor Market Impact Assessment is provided along with a suitable business plan.
• Obtain Work Permit: After receiving a positive Owner Operator LMIA , the overseas investor will apply for an extended temporary work permit at the managerial level for 12-24 months.
• Participate in the Express Entry program: After a year of work in Canada, an overseas investor can apply for permanent residence with family members. This process usually takes less than 12 months.
• Obtain Canadian permanent residence.
• Apply for Citizenship of Canada.
Canadian Work Permit for Owner Operator LMIA
Foreigners wishing to immigrate to Canada by starting a business can apply for a work permit through the OOWP. There are two types of work permits in this method:
1- Work permit based on the so-called LMIA Labour Market Impact Assessment.
2- Work permit based on the so-called International Mobility program exempt from LMIA (code 11)
• In the first method, plus having a job offer, you must have a positive LMIA.
• In the second method, there is no need to prepare this document.
Entrepreneurs are only allowed to work under the Owner Operator LMIA exemption if they prove their work is essential in Canada.
• If you have applied for permanent residence, you can apply for an LMIA exemption work permit.
• Exemption or change of LMIA is possible for business owners if they own a controlling stake and cannot get fired.
What’s a controlling share
• You are the sole owner, the sole shareholder or have at least 50.1% of the shares.
• You participate in day-to-day activities and work with the company simultaneously.
• You cannot be fired because you own the majority or 100% of the company.
LMIA exemption is for those owners who are considered eligible for LMIA exemption if they have a controlling stake in the company, and it is not possible to fire them.
What is an LMIA
Owner Operator LMIA is a letter issued by the Labour Office of Canada stating that hiring a non-Canadian person won’t hurt the Canadian labour market.
The Labour Market Impact Assessor (LMIA) is a letter issued by the Labor Office of Canada stating that hiring a non-Canadian person does not hurt the Canadian labour market.
Obtaining an LMIA is usually very difficult because the Canadian company must invest a lot of time submitting documents proving they haven’t been able to find the talent from Canadian permanent residents or citizens and have no choice but to hire a foreign.
Benefits of the Owner Operator LMIA Program
• Owner Operator LMIA has a higher economic justification than current Canadian Immigration Programs.
• You can get a work permit by presenting a solid business plan and other acceptable documents.
• You don’t need to provide a language certificate at first. You can get it after landing in Canada.
• It is possible to select a city, and it is not limited to choosing a specific province.
• Your children will be free to attend school in Canada.
• In this program, you can change your business or buy another after entering Canada.
• During the first year of work in Canada, a foreign investor with immediate family members can apply for permanent residency if they qualify for a suitable program, a Federal Express Entry Program, or a Provincial Nomination Program.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for the Permanent Residency process in this program?
This process usually takes less than 12 months.
Must I have to be the only owner of the international business?
You can be a sole proprietor or a majority shareholder. More than 50% of the shares cannot be transferred.
Can I come with my family with this Canadian Work Visa?
Yes, your spouse can have an open work permit, and your children can go to school.
How to apply Owner Operator
• Buy or build a business.
• Obtain LMIA approval: Labor Market Impact Assessment is provided along with a suitable business plan.
• Apply for your Canadian Work Permit.
• Participate in the Express Entry program: After one year of working at your company in Canada, you can apply for permanent residency,
• Obtaining the Permanent Residence.
• Citizenship of Canada.
Who is eligible for LMIA?
An employer needs the following conditions to be eligible:
• Be in business for at least one year.
• Pay salary and have working conditions for the foreign worker.
• Have a genuine need for a foreign worker.
• Give working conditions comparable to those offered to Canadians working in the same occupation.
How long does it take to get LMIA?
Authorities used to take about two months to process an LMIA request after receiving it. Once the LMIA is approved, the foreign worker can apply for a Canadian work permit.
Who is exempt from LMIA?
You must be a self-employed engineer, technical worker, performing artist or Intra-company transferees with specialized knowledge.
Is LMIA hard to get?
Yes, LMIAs are challenging to get. Your employer has to complete a demanding application. Remember that employers under an LMIA can still be laid-off or let go.
Is IELTS required for LMIA?
No, there is no need for IELTS to get an LMIA.
How can I improve my options to get a positive LMIA?
A positive LMIA will be issued if an assessment proving that hiring a foreign worker will have a positive or neutral impact on the Canadian labour market. An employer must obtain a positive LMIA before hiring a temporary foreign worker for any specific occupation.
Who pays the LMIA fee?
Employers pay it. If you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), you pay a processing fee to Employment and Social Development Canada.
Is it easy to get an LMIA?
If you have a job offer in Canada and need a work permit, the LMIA is the route to proceed. However, foreign workers and Canadian employers should know that the LMIA process is not easy.
What happens after my LMIA is approved?
After the application was proceeding and obtained a positive LMIA, they can now hire the foreign worker.
Can I get a work permit without LMIA?
Canadian open work permits aren’t tied to an occupation or employer, so they don’t require an LMIA. And, you also don’t need a job offer to apply for an open work permit.
Mana Immigration is a leading Canadian immigration law firm with everything you need to live your dreams. Please spend a few minutes completing the assessment form of your choice. Once you complete the form, Mana Immigration will contact you to provide further assistance.