The Caregiver program focuses on individuals who want to immigrate to Canada and work as a caregiver. The program is occupation-specific and allows workers to come with their spouses and children and apply for Canadian PR. The Caregiver program gives the flexibility to change job locations if need it.
The in-home Caregivers Program allows you to apply for permanent residency via the Home Child Care Provider and Home Support pilot after two years of Canadian work experience. Under this program, your family members can to come to Canada while you work and get the Canadian PR status.
What are Home Child Care Providers or Home Support Worker Pilots?
As a caregiver, once you have acquired two years of Canadian work experience, the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot are a direct pathway for Canadian permanent residence.
As a caregiver you would be eligible for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot, given you have work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) 4411 (excluding foster parents).
Who can apply for Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilots?
If you are a caregiver who has a job offer in Canada, both the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot will provide work permits if you meet the following criteria:
• Language tests result showing a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 5
• One year of foreign equivalent post-secondary or Canadian education; and
• Admissible to Canada.
A maximum of 2,750 principal applicants (out of 5500 per year) will be accepted for each program.
The pilots also provide:
• Work permits that are occupation-specific for Caregivers Program allow them to change jobs quickly if necessary.
• Spouses/common-law partners with open work permits and dependent children with study permits allow the caregiver’s family to accompany them to Canada.
In the past, a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) was required from employers hiring a caregiver from overseas, this will no longer be required.
How Can one apply through Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilots?
There are different types of categories under which applicants fall under as follows:
If you lack qualifying experience:
• Depending on which occupation you plan to work in, you can apply to either the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot.
• You secure a valid job offer.
• With your permanent residence application, you submit a work permit application.
• You get a work permit to work in Canada temporarily if you meet the requirement.
• You can work as a caregiver for any employer given that the work permit you get is an occupation-restricted open work permit.
• To qualify for permanent residence, you get at least 24 months of work
• Once you have enough work experience, send the proof.
• The final decision on your application will be made by Immigration, Refugee, Canadian Citizenship (IRCC) for your permanent residence.
If you are working full-time – temporary foreign worker – as a caregiver in Canada for up to 24 months of experience:
• Depending on which occupation you plan to work in you can apply to either the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot.
• A valid job offer is secured.
• With your permanent residence application, you submit a work permit application.
• You get a work permit to work in Canada temporarily if you meet the requirements.
• You can work as a caregiver for any employer if the work permit you get is an occupation-restricted open work permit.
• To qualify for permanent residence, you need at least 24 months of work experience.
• Once you have enough work experience, you need to send proof.
• Your application for permanent residence will get a final decision.
You and your family members are eligible to apply for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot if you already have 24 months of qualifying work experience. You will need to include documents to prove you have enough qualifying work experience when you apply.
Job Duties of a Home child care provider
Supervise and take care of children at their homes.
• Cook meals for children.
• Take care of infants by feeding, changing diapers, bathing, and dressing them.
• Watch children at home.
• Take them to school (If required).
• Keep records of the children’s activities.
If you are a home child care provider, you can also be called as:
• A babysitter
• A nanny
• A child-care provider in a private home.
• A parent’s helper.
Job Duties of a Home support worker
• Provide care/companionship for individuals during recovery and medical treatment.
• Help them to bathe, get dress and watch them (if required).
• Cook meals and special diets.
• Follow medical routines under the direction of the household or doctor.
• Housekeepers may include doing the laundry, washing dishes, making beds and taking care of children if required.
Professionals under this program may be under the following criteria:
• Family caregivers.
• Home support worker.
• Attendant for people with disabilities.
• Live-in caregiver for seniors.
• Personal aide as a home support.
How to Hire a Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker
Here are the steps to hire a caregiver.
• Find a caregiver.
• Check your selected caregiver’s eligibility.
• Give them a valid job offer.
• Have the employee file for a work permit and submit a PR application.
Immigration Pathway through Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilots
Here is an alternative pathway to immigrate to Canada via the Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilots:
As a foreign national caregiver, you must show that you meet the eligibility and admissibility requirements of the pilots in order to get a work permit.
• language test results that show you can communicate in English or French.
• a Canadian post-secondary diploma or certificate of at least 1 year, or an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report, equivalent to a Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year.
• work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) codes 4411 (home child care provider) or 4412 (home support workers, housekeepers and related occupations).
To get started on this factor, you need to get a job offer as a caregiver in Canada.
As an eligible caregiver overseas or in Canada, you can be provided with a job offer via an employer (a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident). To start the journey, you need to get a job offer from someone who is looking for an in-home caregiver.
Once an employer is secured, they should issue you an offer of employment.
To submit your application, you need to ensure that all documents requested are complete and ready to submit.
To submit your application you need to ensure that all documents requested are complete and ready to submit.
This work permit will be occupation-restricted and allows you to work as a caregiver for any employer. Also, to note, you can work in Canada temporarily only.
To qualify for permanent residence you need at least 24 months of work experience.
Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will make a final decision on your application for permanent residence and will look for proof of your work experience that you submitted.
Benefits of Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilots
• As a caregiver, you may be a close family to the employer as long as you meet all the eligibility requirements. A benefit of this program is for the employer looking to hire temporary foreign workers to care for a loved one.
• As a caregiver, your family members would be eligible to accompany you to Canada once you are officially hired by an employer.
• With a restricted work-permit, as a candidate, you are able to secure occupation and may work for any employer looking for a caregiver.
• You may land a job when applying from outside of Canada. You would initially start with a work permit and your family can accompany you and once you complete your required work experience for the program you may then apply for Permanent Residence.
Mana Immigration is a leading Canadian immigration law firm with over 35 years of experience. Please spend a few minutes completing the assessment form of your choice. Once you complete the form, Mana Immigration will contact you to provide further assistance.