How Can you Get a Canadian Work Permit?There are several ways to do it. In general, there are different types of work permits. So to learn how to work in Canada as a foreigner, you need to start by applying to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Overall, you need a work permit to legally join the Canadian workforce as a foreigner. Most of the time, international workers need to get a job offer from a Canadian employer to apply for their work permit. Sometimes, the employer needs a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to give the job position to a foreign worker and not to a permanent resident or citizen.
What is an LMIA?It is a vital step to learn how you can work in Canada. The LMIA aims to ensure that foreign workers won’t hurt the Canadian workforce. But, then, an employer looking to hire an international worker must submit a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application to the Canadian government. Once the Canadian government receives the application, they review it to determine whether hiring a foreign worker will negatively affect the Canadian labour market. Therefore, among other factors, it must be clear that any Canadian citizen or resident could do that work and that they will meet federal standards.
Who Needs an LMIA?Part of discovering how you can work in Canada is knowing that not everyone needs an LMIA. Even though most foreign workers need it, it is not mandatory for everyone. Special work permits for some specific workers can be exempted from LMIA. For instance, there are special work permit programs for business people, the Atlantic Immigration program or post-graduation work permits for international students.
LMIA Exempted Work PermitsTo learn how you can work in Canada without an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment), foreigners have several options to do it. Depending on their case, the following programs don’t require LMIA or a job offer.
- Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP)
- Spousal Sponsorship from Inside of Canada
- International Experience Canada (IEC) (working holiday visa)
- Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)
- Spouse Accompanying International Student or Worker
- International Mobility Program (IMP)
- NAFTA Work Permits
- CETA Work Permits
- Intra-Company Transferees
- Owner-Operator Work Permit
- Atlantic Immigration Program
How Long Are Work Permits Valid?Work Permits have different expiration dates. Most of the time, they are valid for one year. However, a foreign worker can always apply to extend it. So, depending on the programs, some work permits can be extended up even for five or seven years.
General Requirements for a Work PermitIf you are starting your research about how come and work in Canada, you’ll find that depending on your program, you may need different requirements. However, here is a list of the general requirements you may need:
- Prove you will leave Canada when your work permit expires.
- Show enough money to take care of yourself and your family while in Canada and return to your home country.
- Have no record of criminal activity.
- Provide any other document required to prove you can enter Canada.
Apply For PR with a Work Visa – How Work in CanadaMoreover, it is a great and effective option if you are considering how to work in Canada to qualify for a Permanent Residency. Indeed, Canada is looking for skilled individuals to come, work, and help recover the economy. So, if you are currently working in Canada and want to apply for permanent residence, you can do it under one of the following immigration programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program.
- Canadian Experience Class.
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Provincial Nominee Program.