Last updated May 12, 2021

Spouses or common-law partners being sponsored under Inland Sponsorship

Foreign nationals being sponsored for Canadian permanent residence by their spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to apply for an open work permit.

Inland Spousal Sponsorship Temporary Work Permit:

The Open Work Permit Pilot Program helps to mitigate the economic and emotional hardships of a long application process. It is only for couples living together in Canada, where the spouse is a temporary resident, as a worker, student or visitor.
Through this program, the spouse or common-in-law partner can apply for an Open Work Permit while waiting for the application process. Usually, this application takes one year to be completed. With an Open Work Permit, the person can work for any Canadian employer for around two years.

Eligibility criteria:
  • Have submitted a permanent residence application in process under the Spousal/Common Law Sponsorship Immigration Program.
  • The applicant must have the same residence address as the sponsor.
  • The applicant must have a valid temporary resident status as a visitor, worker or student.
  • Both, the applicant and the sponsor must meet all eligibility requirements under spousal or common-law partner sponsorship.
Follow Manaimmigration Would you like to receive notifications on latest updates? No Yes