Last updated May 12, 2021

Post Graduation Work Permits

This permit is for international students that have completed an education program of at least eight months from a Designated Learning Institution (degree, diploma or certificate). The Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allows international students to have Canadian work experience after graduation. The duration is based on the length of your program ( from one year until three years)

PGWP Requirements
  • You must have graduated from a program of at least eight months from a Designated Learning Institution (Public post-secondary school, college, trade or technical school, university, a private school that follows the degree as a public school).
  • The program must be a diploma, certificate or degree.
  • Apply within 180 days of your graduation date (you must have temporary residence status)
  • Official letter from the eligible institution confirming the person met the requirements to complete the study program.
How it works

To apply, candidates must demonstrate they have a study permit or were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to have one. if your study permit is about to expire, you can apply for a visitor visa to stay or leave the country and then apply for the PGWP.

Supporting Documents

Programs can require different documents, but for all cases, you need the confirmation letter certifying your completion of the study program and the official transcript by your DLI.

How long it takes to have the PGWP:

Usually, it can take 180 days to process. In the meantime, you can work in Canada if you started your PGWP application before the expiration date of your study permit. If you apply overseas, you may be requested to submit additional documents for your application.

Follow Manaimmigration Would you like to receive notifications on latest updates? No Yes