Last updated May 12, 2021

International Experience Canada (IEC)

The IEC program allows youth from 30 different countries to work in Canada for temporary periods at any employer. This program is created to reinforce the economic and cultural ties between Canada and partner countries.

Under the IEC program, applicants receive work permits that are Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exempt.

To qualify under the IEC program, each country has different age requirements and job options for applicants to come and work in Canada. Ages may vary from 18 to 35 years old.

IEC participants can obtain a work permit through these different options:

  • Working Holiday
  • Young professionals
  • International Co-op Internship
Countries with bilateral youth mobility agreements with Canada:

Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway , Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Ukraine, United Kingdom.

Working Holiday

Candidates under this category will receive an Open Work Permit valid  for up to 24 months. This is an ideal category for applicants that don’t have a job offer, want to work for many Canadian employers at different locations.

Young Professionals

This category allows young individuals to get Canadian work experience under an employer-specific work permit.

To apply, you need to have a valid job offer that matches your professional background and plan to work for the same employer while you stay in Canada. The job offer must be under a National Occupation Code (NOC) 0, A or B.

International Co-op Internship

This category allows candidates enrolled at a post-secondary institution in their citizenship country to do an internship for a Canadian company under an employer-specific work permit.

To apply, you need to complete a post-secondary education abroad, have a valid job offer/internship and work with the same employer during your stay in Canada.

Participants must arrange co-op placements with Canadian employers before applying.

What is an Employer-specific Work Permit?

This type of work permit indicates your name, occupation, work location, name of the employer and length of your work. It allows the holder to work according to those conditions.
The IEC program can also allow applicants to work for the same employer in different locations, as long as the duties and wages remain consistent to all places. Besides, International Internships and young professionals applicants should always work at a job relevant to their background studies or professional experience.

Follow Manaimmigration Would you like to receive notifications on latest updates? No Yes