Obtaining permanent residency (PR) in Canada is a dream for many people. The country offers a high standard of living, a friendly and diverse population, and a stable economy. For those who have already secured a job in Canada, the process of obtaining permanent residency can be relatively straightforward. However, it’s important to be well-informed about the steps involved and the requirements that must be met to get a PR from work permits.
Here are some tips and steps to help guide you on your journey to obtaining permanent residency in Canada through the work permit route:
- Choose the right work permit: The type of work permit you hold will determine your eligibility for permanent residency. Some work permits, such as open work permits, are not tied to a specific employer or job offer and do not lead to permanent residency. Others, such as employer-specific work permits, may lead to permanent residency if you meet certain criteria.
- Meet eligibility requirements: To be eligible for permanent residency, you will need to meet certain criteria. These include having a valid work permit, being employed in Canada, and having enough points under the Federal Skilled Worker Program. The points are calculated based on factors such as age, education, work experience, language proficiency, and more.
- Apply for permanent residency: Once you have met the eligibility requirements, you can apply for permanent residency. This involves submitting an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You must provide proof of your work experience, language proficiency, and other relevant documents. There are several programs related to gaining work experience in Canada through a work permit. Some of the most popular programs include the International Experience Canada (IEC) program, the Federal Skilled Worker & Trades Programs (FSWP & FSTP), and the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program.
IEC, FSTP, FSWP $ CEC
The IEC program allows young people from participating countries to work and travel in Canada for up to two years.
The FSTP is a federal immigration program that allows individuals with skills and experience in a designated trade to apply for permanent residency in Canada. To be eligible for the FSTP, individuals must have a valid job offer for a full-time job.
The FSWP is a federal immigration program that allows skilled individuals with a certain level of work experience, education, and language proficiency to apply for permanent residency in Canada.
The CEC program is a program for individuals who have gained work experience in Canada and who meet the eligibility criteria.
- Prepare for an interview: In some cases, you must attend an interview with an immigration officer. This is a chance for the officer to ask you questions about your background, work experience, and reasons for wanting to become a permanent resident of Canada. You should prepare well for this interview and bring all relevant documents.
- Wait for a decision: After submitting your application, you will need to wait for a decision from IRCC. This can take several months, so it’s important to be patient. If the IRCC approves your application, you will receive a PR, allowing you to permanently live and work in Canada.
- Maintain your status: Once you have obtained permanent residency, it’s important to maintain your status. This means following the rules and regulations set by IRCC, including renewing your permanent residency card when required and reporting any changes in your personal information.
Latest update on Work Permit holders with Spouse/ Partners
The partners of work permit holders can apply for an open work permit, which allows them to work for any employer in Canada. Or apply for a closed work permit, which restricts them to working for a specific employer. Starting in January 2023, you can obtain a work permit for your partner regardless of their TEER category. Obtaining a work permit for a partner can also increase their eligibility for permanent residency in the future.
you can obtain a work permit for your partner
Your Path to PR with mana immigration
Working with a reputable immigration company can greatly increase your chances of success in obtaining permanent residency in Canada. At mana immigration, we have specialized knowledge and expertise in the process and requirements for permanent residency. Our experts can provide personalized support and guidance throughout the entire process, from initial assessment to final approval. We can help prepare a strong and compelling application and avoid common mistakes. We also provide up-to-date information about changes in immigration regulations and advise on the best strategies for success. If you have questions about your specific application, take our Free Assessment tool so that we can assist you better.