The job market in Canada has been fluctuating since the pandemic began, and after losing three million positions when it started, employment in Canada is now getting better. Then, if you want to find a job first you should check if you need a Canada work permit.Last December was the seventh consecutive month of job growth across Canada. The number of new full-time positions increased by 123,000. Wich meant that many part-time workers transitioned to secure employment. In the end, it was a sign of trust among employers. In general terms, full-time job positions have been increasing since June, and part-time employment has fallen.According to tradingeconomics.com, the Canadian unemployment rate now stands at 5.5%, closer to the 5.7% rate of February 2020, before the pandemic started and affected Canada’s economy.Overall, the job market in Canada is exceeding economists’ expectations. Then, some in-demand jobs and provinces are experiencing a lack of qualified people to hire for their vacant positions.
A Strong Finish to 2021
At the end of 2021, two Canadian provinces created almost all of December’s job growths. Those were Saskatchewan and Ontario. Some of the sectors were construction and education. Then, there were around 27,100 new construction jobs in December and this sector bounds back to pre-pandemic levels.Moreover, educational services and manufacturing also got substantial job improvements.
Job Market for Foreigners
It is good to say that, even though the pandemic is not over, economists are still expecting a strong 2022, with a Canadian unemployment rate predicted to hang below 6% for the whole year.Statistics Canada estimated around one million job vacancies close to the end of 2021. Once again, it proves that there are plenty of opportunities for newcomers to get a work permit in Canada to start working in 2022.And, what does it mean for newcomers? It shows that foreigners will operate a big part of 2022 job positions as newcomers catch a greater slice of the Canadian job market.
How Can You Get a Job in Canada?
If you are a newcomer looking for a Canadian job, some excellent resources help immigrants to get a job. So, even though newcomers have several opportunities, you should also take full advantage of all the “tools” to find new employment. Then, you can either find government-funded resources and free programs, check specialized web portals or strengthen your professional network by attending online and in-person webinars. Then, if you are currently in Canada looking for a job, got laid-off or plan to come soon, it is an excellent moment to make sure you are a competitive candidate who can help recover the Canadian economy. As a first step, we always suggest checking if you need to apply for a work permit in Canada and checking the criteria.
Tips to Find a Canada Job
- Apply to IRCC for a work permit to allow you to work in Canada.
- Build your Canadian resume in good shape. It is a critical step that will help you to find your new job. Indeed, you will always need a resume to apply for any job in Canada.
- Search for open opportunities. There are many companies that are hiring now. You should check their online websites or specialized portals to find open positions.
- Create and boost your network. Technology can be your best friend now. You can always find new exciting people to help you with your job research.
Canadian Work Permit:
Firstly, you must understand that there are many types of work permits. Therefore, international workers have many opportunities to obtain a work permit in Canada.Depending on your case, some work permits require applicants to hold a valid job offer from a Canadian employer, others require an employer to receive a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), while others require applicants to have a connection with Canada (education, spousal sponsorship, etc.).Each case is different, so depending on your need, you will require a certain work permit in Canada. Different types are: LMIA-ExemptThese work permits are exempt from LMIA, but you need a job offer or an employment contract.
- Intra-Company Transfers
- Owner Operators Work Permit
- International Mobility Program (IMP)
- CETA Agreement Work Permits
- NAFTA Work Permits
Open Work Permit CanadaTo get an open work permit in Canada you don’t need to have a job offer or an LMIA to find a job and start working. An open work permit in Canada can be any of the following:
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
- Global Talent Stream
- Bridging Open Work Permit
- International Experience Canada
- Post-Graduation Work Permits
- Spouse Accompanying International Student or Worker
- Spousal Sponsorship from Inside of Canada
Work Permit Requirements:
Overall, all foreigners looking for a new job should follow a process to get approved for their work permit application. Some of the things you need to prove are:
- Proof you will leave Canada when your work permit passes.
- Prove you have funds to support yourself and your family during your stay in Canada and return to your country.
- No have a criminal record.
- You should be in good health. Sometimes a medical exam is required.
- Demonstrate you won’t work at a Canadian job listed as “ineligible” under the work permit conditions.
How to Transition From a Canada Work Permit to Permanent Resident?
Yes, it is possible to do it. In fact, it’s one of the main paths to getting PR, and there are many options. Overall, suppose you currently work at a job in Canada and have applied for permanent residence and received an invitation. In that case, you are eligible for a bridging open work permit (BOWP) if your work permit expires in four months or less. It means that you can continue working while you receive the final decision on your permanent resident application. To qualify, you must have applied for your Permanent Residency under the following programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program,
- Canadian Experience Class,
- Federal Skilled Trades Program,
- Provincial Nominee Program,
- Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot
Work Permit Extension Canada
If you currently hold a work permit that is going to expire soon, you must apply for a Canada work permit extension. However, you should always do it at least 30
days before your current permit expires. Check here how long it takes for a work permit extension in Canada.
FAQ’s About a Work Permit in Canada
It depends on the type of your work permit. Some work permits in Canada have a duration of up to six months, while others up to seven years. It depends on each person’s case.
- What is the duration of a work permit in Canada?
If your work permit is close to expiring, you should apply for an extension at least 90 days before the expiration date. It’s better to do it with enough time because sometimes IRCC can take a long time to review your application and give a final response.
- What happens if a Canada work permit expires?
Yes, you can have as many works as you want as long as your work permit allows it.
- Can I have multiple jobs on an open work permit?
- What is the processing time of a work permit in Canada?
Again, the Canada work permit processing time can vary from a couple of weeks to even 12 months. It depends on the type and your country of residence. Same thing happens when you want to do a Canada work permit extension.