Immigration Pathway Through Study Permit

If you are considering relocating to Canada in order to pursue your studies, it can be a long and challenging road ahead. At any moment during the process, please contact the experts at MANA Immigration to assist you with any questions or concerns. We are here to help. 

College and University Education in Canada

In addition, international students in Canada may:

  • work for up to 20 hours per week while in school, and on a full-time basis during school breaks.
  • obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit for the equivalent duration of the studies once the program is successfully completed, allowing students to remain in Canada for many years before becoming a permanent resident.
  • bring an accompanying spouse or common-law partner to Canada on an open full-time work permit, allowing him or her to work for any employer.
  • bring accompanying minor children to study in Canada at the same rate that Canadians pay.
  • become eligible for Canadian permanent residence, either through a Provincial Nominee Program, through Quebec’s immigration system, or through the Express Entry immigration selection system.

The following are important steps to follow moving forward:

  • Selecting your ideal school/institution
  • Become accepted to a Canadian Designated Institution (DSI)
  • Earn your Canadian Study Permit
  • Obtain your work permit when you complete your studies
  • Obtain your Canadian Permanent Residency (PR)
  • Immigration options for International Graduates
  • How can an Immigration Consultant help you?

Step 1: Choosing The Right Academic Institution 

You will need to choose your preferred choice of the program at a University or College.  The program structure is different for Universities vs Colleges which means you will need to decide which you wish to study at.

You need to ensure that the institution you choose is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) which means it is a provincial or territorial government approved to host international students.

Step 2: Gain Admission to a Canadian Designated Institution

Once you have identified a particular study program or a shortlist of potential study programs, you will need to gain admission by obtaining what is known as a Letter of Acceptance.

While the exact admission requirements and procedures vary between institutions across Canada.

Step 3: Apply For a Canadian Study Permit

Once you have gained admission to a study program at a Canadian designated institution. you may begin to apply for a Canadian Study Permit.

A Study Permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows a foreign individual to study in Canada for a designated period of time.

In addition to having already obtained a Letter of Acceptance, an applicant for a Study Permit also needs to satisfy the Canadian Visa Officer that he or she has sufficient funds to pay tuition fees and cover living expenses while in Canada.

Students of those nationalities who are required to have a visa when entering Canada, need to also apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

Each application is unique thus processing times will vary.  It all depends on what type of application you are submitting/submitted and where it is processed.  of the application you submit, and where it is.

Click on the following link to get a rough idea of processing times.

Get professional help for your Study Permit

Study Permit Canada

Step 4: Complete Your Study Program and Obtain an Open Work Permit

Once you are studying in Canada, it is important to maintain your status in the country. This may entail renewing or changing your study permit. 

After completing your study program in Canada, a typical path from student to permanent resident status in Canada is through taking advantage of something Canada offers that is not available, or more difficult to obtain, in other countries — an open Post-Graduation Work Permit.

This work permit, which allows its bearer to work for any employer in Canada, maybe issued upon completion of the study program and is equal in length to the duration of that program, up to a maximum of three years.

Thus, a graduate who completed a three- or four-year study program may be eligible for a three-year work permit, allowing him or her to remain in Canada for a total of six years.

Step 5. Become a Permanent Resident of Canada

Individuals who have obtained a Canadian degree, diploma, or certificate and built up professional experience in Canada may have multiple immigration options through the available federal and provincial programs.

Canada Immigration Options for International Graduates

International graduates of Canadian universities and colleges have multiple options to choose from when it comes to a pathway to Canadian PR.

These pathways vary based on the place and subjects of studies of international graduates. Below is a list of options they have and this may change over a period of time-based on each province’s needs and requirements. 

Program/categoryAligned with Express Entry?Is a job offer required?Additional information
Canadian Experience ClassYesNo Graduates may become eligible after working in Canada on a Post-Graduation Work Permit. Graduates may also obtain additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points for their Canadian credentials
Federal Skilled Worker ProgramYesNo Graduates with Canadian credentials receive more points under the education factor. Graduates may also obtain additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points for their Canadian credentials.
Federal Skilled Trades ProgramYesNoGraduates may also obtain additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points for their Canadian credentials. 
The Atlantic Immigration Pilot (AIP)

Atlantic International Graduate Program (AIGP)

NoYesGraduates of post-secondary institutions in the Atlantic provinces can apply. No work experience is required. Applicants require a two-year post-secondary diploma from a publicly funded learning institution in the Atlantic region. Applications must be submitted within 24 months of obtaining the diploma.
Rural and Northern Immigration PilotNoNoGraduates who meet qualifying education requirements within the designated community are exempt from the program’s work experience criteria.

Alberta Opportunity Stream

No YesInternational students can benefit from the Alberta Opportunity Stream if they have completed their studies at an approved Alberta post-secondary institution and are employed in Alberta on a Post-Graduation Work Permit. 
British Columbia

BC PNP Skills Immigration: International Graduate

NoYesNot restricted to graduates of BC institutions, graduates of institutions across Canada may apply; category operates under Expression of Interest system called SIRS; Post-secondary education completed in BC is worth 8 SIRS points; Post-secondary education completed in Canada (outside BC) worth 6 SIRS points.
British Columbia

BC PNP Express Entry: International Graduate

YesYesNot restricted to graduates of BC institutions, graduates of institutions across Canada may apply; category operates under Expression of Interest system called SIRS; Post-secondary education completed in BC is worth 8 SIRS points; Post-secondary education completed in Canada (outside BC) is worth 6 SIRS points.
British Columbia

BC PNP Skills Immigration: International Post-Graduate

NoNoFor individuals who have obtained a master’s or doctoral degree in the natural, applied, or health sciences from a BC institution.
British Columbia

BC PNP Express Entry: International Post-Graduate

YesNoFor individuals who have obtained a master’s or doctoral degree in the natural, applied, or health sciences from a BC institution.

MPNP Skilled Worker in Manitoba

NoYesMust have attended an institution in Manitoba (language programs are excluded), except for graduates from a post-secondary program in another province who have been working for a Manitoba employer for at least one year.

International Education Stream (IES) – Career Employment Pathway 

NoYesThe candidate must have a full-time job offer from an eligible employer in Manitoba.

International Education Stream – Graduate Internship Pathway

NoNoCandidates must have completed a master or doctoral degree program in Manitoba within the past 3 years. 

International Education Stream – International Student Entrepreneur Pilot

NoNoCandidates must operate a business as a senior manager on a daily basis from the place of business in Manitoba for at least 6 months prior to nomination while on a valid temporary work permit.
New Brunswick

NB Express Entry

YesNoInternational students who completed at least two academic years of full-time study at a secondary or post-secondary school in New Brunswick will earn points for adaptability on the point grid used to assess eligibility for this stream. 
New Brunswick

NB Skilled Worker Stream

NoYesInternational student graduates from a post-secondary institution in New Brunswick with at least six months of work experience in
the province, including work experience obtained while a student will be awarded points for adaptability. 
Newfoundland & Labrador

NLPNP International Graduate Category

NoYesGraduates must have a job or job offer from a Newfoundland & Labrador employer, and must apply while they still have at least 6 months’ validity on their Post-Graduation Work Permit; graduates of eligible publicly funded colleges or universities across Canada may be able to apply.
Newfoundland & Labrador

NLPNP Express Entry Skilled Worker

YesYesPrevious study experience in Newfoundland & Labrador is worth additional points towards eligibility.
Newfoundland & Labrador

NLPNP International Graduate Entrepreneur

NoNoFor graduates of Memorial University or College of the North Atlantic. Must have started or bought a local business and maintained operations for at least one year
Nova Scotia

NSNP Skilled Worker Stream

NoyesThe Skilled Worker stream helps employers recruit foreign workers and recently graduated international students whose skills are needed in Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia

NSNP Nova Scotia Experience: Express Entry

YesNoCandidates must have at least 12 months full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) paid skilled work experience in Nova Scotia in the three years before the application is made, providing an opportunity for graduates who obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit after studying in Canada.
Nova Scotia

NSNP International Graduate Entrepreneur Stream

NoNoOpen to recent graduates of Nova Scotia post-secondary institutions who have already started or purchased a business in the province; operates on an Expression of Interest system.

Ontario Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream

NoYesGraduates of a full-time degree or diploma program at an eligible publicly-funded Canadian college or university that is at least 2 years in length, or a 1-year post-graduate certificate program that requires a previous degree in order to qualify, may be able to apply; open to eligible candidates whose job offer has been approved through the Employer pre-screen processThis stream is expected to open and close intermittently. 

OINP International Masters Graduate Stream

NoNoGraduates of a full-time Master’s course at an eligible university in Ontario that is at least 1 year in length may be eligible. This stream is expected to open and close intermittently. 

OINP International Student PhD Graduate Stream

NoNoApplicants must have completed at least two years of Ph.D. studies at a university in Ontario. This stream is expected to open and close intermittently. 
Prince Edward Island

PEI PNP Labour Impact Category: International Graduate

NoYesThis employer-driven stream allows PEI employers to hire recent graduates from recognized PEI universities and colleges. The job offer must be in the field of studies. 

Quebec Experience Class (PEQ)

NoNoEligible individuals may apply at any time from 6 months before graduation, up to 36 months after graduation; must prove ability in French.

Quebec Skilled Worker Program

NoNoHigher education is a significant factor in the points grid; Only completed studies leading to a diploma are taken into account when applications for permanent selection are assessed. 

SINP Experience Category for Students

NoYesGraduates with a certificate, diploma, or degree from a recognized post-secondary educational institution in Saskatchewan may be able to apply.

SINP International Graduate Entrepreneur Category

NoNoCandidates will have to operate and manage a business in Saskatchewan for at least one year and own at least one-third of the equity in a qualified business in order to be eligible for a provincial nomination for permanent residence.

How Can Mana Immigration Help you?

It’s simple. As immigrants ourselves, we have been in your shoes.

Making the decision to immigrate to another country is one of life’s biggest decisions. It goes without saying that having someone help you through this difficult process can save you from making mistakes on your application, spending too much money, or becoming frustrated with the difficult road ahead.

Having immigrated to Canada ourselves, our mission ever since has been to help aspiring migrants overcome the challenges of their own personal journeys (something we wished we had access to years ago). There are many consulting firms that claim to want to help immigrants settle in Canada.

But many of them have never been through the process themselves; so how can they offer the in-depth knowledge needed to overcome certain challenges that only people who have immigrated to Canada can understand. 

Mana Immigration has taken years to carefully select a team of immigration experts who work tirelessly to help our clients reach their goals. Our core values of respect, integrity, law abidance and professionalism, are at the center of every interaction and action we take.

As a result, we are able to offer a truly unique and tailored experience for each of our hopeful candidates. No matter what your needs may be, whether you have a simple question or major concern, we will be there to guide you and your family every step of the way. 

Mana Immigration’s team of expert consultants and lawyers are all members of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (CCRC). When you choose to work with us, you are assured the utmost confidentiality and an unprecedented level of personalized customer service.

Our team will work directly with you and your family throughout the entire process (we are always just a telephone call or email away).  

Mana Immigration has empowered so many with the tools to succeed in Canada. 

Trust us to help do the same for you. 

Tell us your story today.