Spousal sponsorship applications have been on the rise since 2016, reaching their highest level in two decades and are on target to see an 8 per cent increase from last year.The number of new approvals has increased every year since 2016. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) revealed that over 34,000 new permanent residents who came to Canada in the first half of this year arrived through spousal sponsorship. A recent IRCC report suggests that this growth in spousal sponsorship applications will continue into the future. The report projects that by the end of 2022 there will be close to 70,000 new approvals. That’s an increase of 7% from 2019’s numbers.Spousal sponsorship is a way for permanent residents and Canadian citizens to sponsor their foreign spouse for Canadian immigration. Spouses can come from any country, but they must have proof of a relationship with their sponsor.
There are two basic types of spousal sponsorship:
- Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class (Inland) – For spouses or common-laws living in Canada. This includes people who came to Canada as international students or temporary workers; and people who entered as refugees or protected persons. The current processing time for the Inland option is 15 months
- Spouse or Common-Law Partner Outside Canada Class (Outland) – For spouses or common-laws outside Canada who want to immigrate here permanently. The current processing time for the Outland option is 23 months.
Spousal sponsorship is the most popular category of permanent residence in Canada.It is the reason why most people immigrate to this country. It is also the most complex and expensive category, as it requires a lot of paperwork and time. Even though it’s the fastest-growing option for immigrants, it’s not without its challenges.The spousal sponsorship process can be complicated and time-consuming, especially if you are not familiar with the process. The sponsor and the applicant need to prepare many documents and forms. The processing time for this type of application can take up to 2 years, so it is important that you do everything correctly from the beginning in order to avoid any delays or rejections during this time period.
Some of the most significant challenges immigrants face when applying for spousal sponsorship programs include:
- Incomplete applications – The first challenge is completing the application correctly and completely. If any information is missing, your application may be delayed or rejected altogether;
- Missing documents – Another challenge is obtaining all required documentation needed for your application including police certificates, medical exams and proof of financial support;
- Not knowing how long it will take – It’s important that you know how long it will take before submitting any documentation as well as how long it will take after submitting them until they receive an approval letter.