Eligibility Criteria for CEC-FSW and FST

Eligibility Criteria for CEC-FSW and FST
To apply for your Canadian permanent residence under the Express Entry system, you must meet the eligibility criteria for at least one of these three programs. Federal Skilled Workers, Federal Skilled Trades (FST) and Canadian Experience Class. To do it, there are minimum requirements for each case. We will explain in more detail each case.

Eligibility Criteria for Federal Skilled Workers – FSW

To meet the eligibility criteria for the Federal Skilled Worker category, applicants need to get at least 67 points out of 100 in the grid used by IRCC to assess candidates. In fact, you shouldn’t try to calculate your CRS score before meeting at least the minimum 67 points needed.Also, you will need to have your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) and your language test results. If you haven’t had these documents, you can try to guess the results and have an approximate number for your profile. You can try as well the Degree Equivalency Tool from WES to have an idea of your points.So, is it better to have your language results and ECA reports before entering the pool? Yes, because as soon as you receive an Invitation To Apply, you will have 60 days to submit it.

Points to Rank Candidates (FSW):  

  • Education: Max 25 points
  • Experience: Max 15 points
  • Age: Max 12 points
  • Language ability: Max 28 points
  • Adaptability: Max 10 points
  • Arranged employment in Canada: Max 10 points
Also, to be eligible, you must plan to live in a province different from Quebec.  

Eligibility Criteria for Federal Skilled Trades – FST

To meet the eligibility criteria under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you must:
  1. Meet the required levels in English or French. CLB5 for speaking and listening. And CLB4 for reading and writing.
  2. Minimum 2 years of experience in a skilled trade in the last five years. (Full time 30 h/week, or an equal amount part-time),
  3. Prove your skilled trade experience meets the essential duties related to your NOC,
  4. Have a valid full-time job offer of at least one year. Or have a certificate of qualification.
  5. Your skilled trade work experience must be from these major and minor groups of the NOC:​
  • Chefs and cooks: Group 632
  • Butchers and bakers: Group 633
  • Industrial, electrical and construction trades: Group 72
  • Maintenance and equipment operations trade: Group 73
  • Supervisors and technical jobs. Natural resources and agriculture and related production: Group 82
  • Processing and manufacturing and utility supervisors and central control operators Group 92
On the other hand, to have a certificate of qualification, you need to be assessed by the province’s regulatory body or territory you want to work. Or, you may gain training and work experience in Canada to obtain a certificate of qualification. In fact, each province or territory has its own regulatory body.Remember that you don’t need to meet a minimum education level to qualify for the FST Program. Still, if you have a degree or certificate is better to include it in your profile to earn CRS points. In case it is an international education, you need to get an ECA.

Eligibility Criteria for Canadian Experience Class – CEC

To qualify under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) through the Express Entry system, the eligibility criteria is:
  • Have a minimum of 1 year of Canadian work experience in the past three years. It has to be in a job with NOC skill type A, B or 0. The work experience must be either full-time, 30 h/week, or an equivalent amount part-time).
  • Not want to settle in the Province of Quebec.
  • Have gained legally your Canadian work experience, and
  • Meet the minimum language requirements: CLB7 for jobs NOC type 0 or A . Or CLB5 for jobs NOC type B.
​However, self-employment and internships don’t count for this program.Additionally, you don’t need a minimum education level for the Canadian Experience Class. But, if you have a diploma or degree, you can use it to get extra CRS points. Keep in mind that if your education is not from Canada, you must request an ECA.

How to Proof Your Work Experience

To prove your Canadian work experience, you need to get a signed letter from your current or previous supervisor or HR department. It must contain the duties and responsibilities as they are out in your NOC.

Funds Requirements

Applicants under the Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) and the Federal Skilled Trades (FST) programs must prove to have enough assets to support their family during the first months in Canada, unless:
  • you are in Canada with a Temporary Work Permit, and you are allowed to work AND
  • have a valid job offer in Canada.
Otherwise, applicants under the Canadian Experience Class don’t need to provide proof of funds.Finally, all applicants must prove they are allowed to enter Canada.
5/5 - (1 vote)
Related Posts
Follow Manaimmigration Would you like to receive notifications on latest updates? No Yes