The Government of Canada updated guides for international students who work on campus. Then, international students who have not done an immigration medical exam (IME) for their study permit application will need an IME if their on-campus work occurs in a hospital or other public health facility.
What is On-Campus Employment?
In Canada, full-time post-secondary students can work without a work permit on the university or college campus where they study full-time. However, this permission is shown on their study permit and has the same validity period as their study permit.
Then, this restriction applies to students with a On-campus job who meet the following criteria: Engaged full-time students:
Working :Students working at different jobs on campus or as researchers or teaching assistants at locations off campus related to their program of study. Consequently, those locations can be : teaching hospitals, clinics and institutes with a legal association with the learning organization.
- Those who are full-time students at a public post-secondary institution, such as a university, a college or a trade or technical school. Or a CEGEP in the case of Quebec.
- Students enrolled at a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions in Quebec.
- A public or private post-secondary or secondary institution in Quebec with 900 hours or more extended qualifying programs directing to a diploma of vocational studies (DVS) or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS).
- A private institution in Canada authorized by provincial regulation to grant degrees. Those can be associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degrees. It only affects if the student is enrolled in a program leading to a degree authorized by the province.
New Regulations For International Students Working On-Campus
What is On-campus Job?
On-campus work is described as a job happening within the campus facilities. Therefore, students can only work on the educational institution they registered as full-time students. However, if an institution has more than one campus, students can work at those locations within the same city. Consequently, students can get an on-campus job like teaching or research assistants be located at a hospital, a research facility affiliated with the institution or a library, but that is still located outside the institution’s campus. In fact, the employer can be :
Also, keep in mind that on-campus employers are those whose businesses can also serve and open to the general public, as long as the company is on the institution’s campus.
- the same institution
- a faculty of the institution
- a student organization
- the students themselves
- a private business
- a private contractor delivering services to that institution
for more information.