Intra-Company Transferee CategoriesUnder the ICT program, a foreign worker must fall into three defined categories.
- Senior Manager
- Worker with specialized Knowledge.
Executive CategoryFor this position, a person must meet at least some of the following criteria to qualify:
- Leads the organization’s management or a significant function of the company.
- Someone who establishes the goals and guidelines of the organization, component or any process.
- It is a person who has a wide margin in decision-making.
- It receives only supervision or direction from its board of directors or stockholders.
Senior Manager CategoryTo qualify under this position, the candidate must meet some or all the following criteria:
- Must be someone who supervises the organization, a department, or a subdivision.
- Manage and controls other supervisors or managerial employees. Or someone who manages an essential function or a department.
- Someone with authority to hire or fire employees.
Specialized KnowledgeA position with “specialized knowledge” needs proprietary knowledge and advanced expertise. Proprietary knowledge: It is specific expertise linked to a product or service of that company. It means that the company hasn’t revealed specifications that would let the competition imitate them.Advanced expertise: It is is achieved after long experience with the organization.
ICT Program – General RequirementsThe following conditions are essential to qualify under the ICT program.
- The applicant must be currently working with a foreign company and looking for entry to Canada in a parent or branch of that company.
- The transfer person must be moving to a company with a qualifying relationship to execute work at a legitimate and constant establishment.
- Under the ICT program, candidates must be transferred to an executive, senior managerial, or specialized knowledge position.
- The candidate must have been working continuously in the company that’s offering the moving for at least one year. It should be at a similar job position.
- It allows the applicant to come to Canada for a temporary period only.
- The firm must guarantee physical premises to place the Canadian operation, especially in the case of specialized knowledge. However, in particular cases, including senior managers or executives, it might be acceptable that the new business address is not yet secured.
- The company must provide realistic plans to staff the new operation.
- The company must have the economic capacity to start a business in Canada and pay employees.
- When moving executives or managers, the company must prove that it will be large enough to support its function.
- When transferring a specialized knowledge worker, the company must show that work is led and directed by management at the Canadian operation.
Documentation RequirementsSome crucial documents a candidate needs to qualify under the Intra-Company Transferee (ICT) program are.
- Prove the applicant is already working for that multinational company outside Canada and is attempting to work in a parent or affiliate located in Canada.
- Confirm that the foreigner worker has been employed continuously by the multinational company overseas, in a similar full-time position, for at least 12 months.
- Describe the applicant’s as an executive, managerial position or specialized Knowledge. It has to include the position, title and job description.
- Moreover, in the case of “specialized knowledge”, prove the person has that special knowledge required by the Canadian business.
- Describe the position in Canada. Include name, role in the business, title, and job description.